Close this search box.

Public Health

Food and Drink

Good food safety is the foundation of any food business. Local businesses that serve food to the public are regulated by Lockhart Council and the NSW Food Authority.

Council work with food businesses to improve hygiene standards through inspections and education. We also advise and approve new businesses, check for contamination, follow up on complaints and make sure businesses comply with the food safety laws and standards.

Setting up a food business?

A food handling business includes any business that sells or handles food in any form in a fixed mobile permanent or temporary facility.

Ensure your business can legally operate in your proposed location and at the proposed times. Council’s planning staff can assist you here. In some cases, you may be required to lodge a Development Application.

All food businesses need to register with Council, so please notify us in writing of your intentions to start a food business.

All food businesses need to comply with the Australia New Zealand Food Standards Code at all times. Food safety is especially relevant, and this can be found in Chapter three of the Code.


Is your food business changing?

If your business closes, stops trading, moves, opens another business, sells to a new owner or changes its trading name, please notify Council. 


Phone: (02) 6920 5305