Close this search box.

Emergency Services


The Local Emergency Management Committee (LEMC) holds quarterly meetings to strategically plan for emergencies.

The LEMC is attended by representatives of the combat agencies, functional areas and support agencies that are involved in managing an emergency.

Depending on the emergency, under the NSW State Emergency and Rescue Management Act 1989 (SERM Act) different combat agencies are required to manage the emergency e.g.:

  • Bushfire – NSW Rural Fire Service
  • Flood – NSW State Emergency Service
  • Urban Fire – Fire & Rescue NSW
  • HAZMAT – Fire & Rescue NSW
  • Animal and Plant pests and disease – NSW Department of Primary Industries
  • Major Transportation Incident – NSW Police

In accordance with the SERM Act, Lockhart Shire Council provides:

  • a Local Emergency Management Officer (LEMO) to support the Local Emergency Operations Controller (LEOCON)
  • an Emergency Operations Centre (EOC).
  • a liaison officer to the EOC.
  • trained staff for administrative duties when the EOC is operational.
  • personnel, plant, equipment, services and material resources as available and required during emergency response and recovery operations.
  • expertise and support, as requested, to the emergency services, combat agencies and functional areas identified in the Local Emergency Management Plan (copy here); and
  • Assumes a lead role in Local recovery operations.

During emergencies Council will provide relevant information to the community via our website.

National Emergency Services

The national telephone number for all emergency services in Australia including AMBULANCE, FIRE, and POLICE is 000.

How 000 works

000 calls are answered by a Telstra Operator who will ask which service you require – Police, Fire or Ambulance.

The operator will ask relevant questions, and arrange an appropriate response from the local Police, Ambulance or Fire Service.

For more information follow this link:

000 Calls From Mobile Phones

000 calls are free on all mobile phones. If your provider operates via another country, you may not be able to access Triple Zero (000). Consult your carrier if you are uncertain how to access the 000 emergency network.

Assistance during Storm or Flood Events

If you require assistance during a storm or flood event call the State Emergency Service (SES). This includes requests for sandbags.

SES 132 500

For more information, including when to call, click HERE.

Non Emergencies

If you require the assistance of these services for routine matters and non emergency situations then you should call the local number of the required service nearest you.

  • Non-emergency Police matters – 131 444
  • Electricity interruptions – 132 080
  • Poison Information Centre – 131 126
  • Sewerage – Lockhart – 6920 5305 (Please listen carefully to the message)
  • Water – Riverina Water – 6922 0608 (AH 6920 5670)
  • Lockhart Hospital – 6920 5206
  • Lockhart Police – 6397 9870
  • The Rock Police – 6397 9890
Neighbourhood Safer Places

Neighbourhood Safer Places are a place of last resort during a bush fire emergency.They are to be used when all other options in your Bush Fire Survival Plan ca…